Michael E. RickettsPartner, Board of Directors
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 1979
Participant, Regional Mock Trial Advocacy Competition
B.A., Economics, Whitman College, 1976
Oregon State Courts
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Pro hac vice admissions, resulting in appearances in particular cases in courts in the states of Alaska, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, California, Nevada, Arizona, and Alabama.
American Bar Association
Torts and Insurance Practice Section
Member, Property Insurance Subcommittee
Washington State Bar Association
Member, Litigation Section
King County Bar Association
Member, Judicial Evaluation Committee (Chair 2007-2008); Member, Judiciary & the Courts Committee
The Defense Research Institute
- Joined firm 2008
- Kingman, Peabody, Fitzharris & Ringer, P.S., 1986-2007
- Burns & Ricketts, P.S., 1982-1986
- Foulds, Felker, Johnson, McHugh, P.S., 1979-1982
- Co-counsel representing public utility district and its London-based Difference in Conditions insurers in claims against all-risk property insurers arising out of catastrophic failure of hydro-electric generation facility in Southwestern Washington.
- Represents equipment manufacturer against claims that it is liable for asbestos exposure as a result of the application of exterior thermal insulation to its equipment by the end user to whom the equipment was sold.
- Represented London-based general liability insurer regarding coverage issues and contribution claims against other liability insurers arising out of massive wrongful death, personal injury, property damage, and business interruption claims following pipeline explosion in Whatcom County, Washington.
- Prosecuted breach of contract and breach of warranty claims on behalf of Eastern Washington-based hay grower and exporter against manufacturer of defective and underperforming hay press.
- Defended U.S.-based Difference in Conditions property insurers from claims for coverage arising from aluminum manufacturer’s environmental remediation expenditures at facilities across United States.
Mr. Ricketts also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to appeals. Representative appellate cases in which he was involved include the following decisions:
- Braaten v. Saberhagen Holdings, et al., 165 Wn.2d 373, 198 P.3d 493 (2008)
- Ambach v. French, 141 Wn. App. 782; 173 P.3d 941 (2007)
- Wilcox v. Lexington Eye Institute, 130 Wh. App. 234, 122 P.3d 729 (2005)
- Olympic Pipe Line Co. v. Pacific Employers Ins. Co., 128 Wn.App. 1003, 2005 WL 1406125 (2005)
- Spokane County v. Specialty Auto and Truck Painting, Inc., 153 Wn.2d 238, 103 P.3d 792 (2004)
- Olympic Pipe Line Co. v. Somerset Marine, Inc., 124 Wn. App. 1004 (2004)
- Puget Sound Energy, Inc. v. Alba General Ins. Co., 149 Wn.2d 135, 68 P.3d 1061 (2003)
- Port of Seattle v. Lexington Ins. Co., 111 Wn. App. 901, 48 P.3d 334 (2002)
- M. A. Mortenson Co., Inc. v. Timberline Software Corp., 140 Wn.2d 568, 998 P.2d 305, 41 UCC Rep. Serv.2d 357 (2000)
- Aluminum Co. of America v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co., 140 Wn.2d 517, 998 P.2d 856 (2000)
- Hillhaven Properties, Ltd. v. Sellen Constr. Co., Inc., 133 Wn.2d 751, 948 P.2d 796 (1997)
- Sunbreaker Condominium Assoc. v. Travelers Ins. Co., 79 Wn. App. 368, 901 P.2d 1079 (1995)
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Past selection as a Super Lawyer by Washington Law And Politics magazine
- Contributing Author, Washington Civil Procedure Deskbook (Washington State Bar Association)
- Multi-Defendant Product Liability Claims: The Plaintiff’s Perspective (Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association)