Real Estate & Land Use
Our real estate and land use attorneys are both strong advocates and effective problem-solvers. We possess broad experience in all aspects of real estate matters, including the purchase, sale and leasing of all forms of commercial and residential real estate; preparation of documents for all aspects of real estate transactions, including financing; formation of condominiums; obtaining all necessary government permits and approvals to proceed with planned development; and achieving positive results in real estate and land use related litigation. We understand the economic realities of real-estate transactions, land use, and development, and work collaboratively with clients, governmental agencies, and stakeholders to form balanced strategies designed to achieve our clients' objectives. Our clients receive both exceptional legal advice and the benefit of the respect and credibility that our attorneys have earned with elected and appointed public officials and regulatory agencies throughout Western Washington.
Our areas of focus include:
- Administrative Appeals
- Commercial Financing
- Condemnation & Eminent Domain
- Critical Areas
- Growth Management Act
- Landlord & Tenant Disputes
- Native American Treaty Rights
- Public Finance and Government Incentives
- Public & Private Partnerships
- Purchase & Sale
- Real Estate Disputes
- SEPA & NEPA
- Shoreline Management Act
- Zoning & Permitting
Representative Energy, Environmental, Water, and Infrastructure Matters
Related to our Business and Real Estate Practices:
- Ongoing representation of Cascadia Development Corporation on all land use, utility, growth management, environmental and real estate matters relating to development of a 4700-acre planned community.
- Land use representation for large and small residential, commercial, industrial and mixed-use projects throughout the Puget Sound area.
- Extensive surface mining, natural resources and shoreline work.
- Litigation in State Environmental Policy Act matters.
- Represents developers in mixed-use public/private developments. Recent projects include the YMCA Project in Kitsap County and Pacific Plaza in Tacoma.
- Represents buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of industrial/office/retail projects, including the purchase and sale of business assets.
- Currently providing Lewis County Public Utility District strategic advice on addressing flooding issues in the Chehalis River Basin.
- Currently working with Sea Breeze Power Corporation to provide strategic advice and intergovernmental coordination on the underwater, underground Juan de Fuca Cable Project, an energy transmission cable connecting the United States and British Columbia.
- Currently working with private clients to address water rights, compliance with the Clean Water Act, potential Shoreline Management Plan rules, and other environmental and natural resource issues.
- Mediated between multiple stakeholders to facilitate solutions to the recharge and management of groundwater resources in the Los Angeles area's Central and West Coast Basins.
- Facilitated the local Regional Transportation Investment District decisions for a regional transportation investment plan for three county Puget Sound area.
- Successfully mediated resolution to forty year litigation over water quality issues in the San Joaquin River Basin in California.
- Worked with multiple stakeholders to determine potential solutions for inter-state protection of instream flows in response to Endangered Species Act issue.
- Currently providing SSA Marine, Inc. strategic and legal advice on long-term terminal development involving a joint venture with the Puyallup Indian Tribe.
- Currently representing Pacific International Terminals on permitting the development of a deep water bulk commodity terminal at Cherry Point.
- Provided strategic and regulatory advice to Wallula Energy Resource Center for combined cycle coal gasification plan for combined carbon capture and geologic sequestration.
- Postema v. Dept. of Ecology hydraulic continuity cases.
- Nnegotiated the Central Puget Sound Water Resource Management Strategy for Governor Locke.
- Represented a large regional municipality regarding water rights issues.
- Developed a new and innovative watershed improvement strategy designed to resolve existing environmental, agricultural, and regulatory issues among multiple parties.
- Presently representing Hampton Affiliates regarding water right matters.